Healthcare workers tax rebate

Do you work for the NHS? Did you know you are eligible for workplace allowances?

The good news we can help! Just take a look at our guide below to find out what you could be eligible to claim. It doesn’t matter if you’re a nurse, care worker or a porter – we can help everyone in the healthcare industry make a claim for a tax rebate.

Why wait? It’s no refund no fee so you’ve nothing to lose!


For more details apply online now or call 0333 240 6122

What tax refunds are healthcare workers entitled to?


Do you pay for NMC subscriptions? Did you know you can claim tax relief on this? 40% of NMC members are not aware they can claim!


  • Laundering of uniform – £100 per year tax relief
  • NMC subscriptions costs
  • Use of own vehicle – If you travel outside your normal commute to and from work you could be eligible for up to 45p per mile.
  • Stockings and shoes- if you have to wear a certain style shoe e.g. Non slip you can claim £12 per year tax relief
  • Socks – if you have to wear a certain color socks you can claim back £6 per year tax relief


Ambulance Staff and Paramedics

  • Laundering Uniform – you can claim £140 per year tax relief if you wash your uniform at home
  • HCPC Subscriptions
  • Upkeep of uniform and equipment


Paramedics, Nurses, Midwives and other healthcare employees are amongst the rare group of people who are eligible to claim tax relief on certain expenses. You can claim back any unclaimed tax relief for the last four years.

Who can make a claim?

Our tax rebate service is open to anyone who works for the NHS or in the healthcare sector, including but not limited to:


  • Ambulance staff
  • Chiropodists
  • Dental nurses
  • Occupational, speech, physiotherapists and other therapists
  • Phlebotomists
  • Radiographers
  • Nurses
  • Midwives
  • Hospital porters
  • Hospital domestics
  • Hospital catering staff
  • Pharmacists and pharmacy assistants
  • Receptionists
  • Security guards

For more details apply online now or call 0333 240 6122


If you pay any professional and/or union subscription fees, for example Unison, the RCN, or fees to a registration body like the NMC, HCPC or SSSC, or if you pay professional indemnity insurance i.e. to the Medical Protection Society – you can claim tax relief on these outgoings.


Whether you are a doctor, surgeon, nurse, midwife or have any other role in the healthcare sector, HMRC has an agreement to allow you to reclaim the cost of the professional fee as long as you are not reimbursed for it by your employer.


See below for a list of some of the most common allowable professional bodies.


  • General Medical Council (GMC)
  • British Medical Association (BMA)
  • Royal College of General Practitioners (RCGP)
  • Royal College of Physicians of London (RCP) and Royal College of Physicians of Edinburgh (RCPE)
  • Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh (RCSEd)
  • Royal College of Pathologists (RCPath)
  • Society of Cardiothoracic Surgeons of Great Britan and Ireland (SCTS)
  • British Association of Urological Surgeons (BAUS)


Doctors and Surgeons can also claim for their professional indemnity insurance if you meet the cost of the professional Indemnity Insurance and do not get reimbursed.


You can also claim tax relief on using your own vehicle to travel to different Locations such as different clinics, hospitals and patient’s homes.

For more details apply online now or call 0333 240 6122

NHS widening access training scheme


If you have or think you may have been part of the widening access training scheme, please see the below link:


NHS Widening Access Scheme


Your claim can be backdated four years. Once you have made your claim HMRC will adjust your tax code to include the expenses. This will then continue in to any future years’ tax codes whilst in the same employment.